Parents are trying to teach their children to lead healthier lifestyles at a younger age. This is great and I hope more parents start taking up this approach to help with the awful obesity problems plaguing the United States.
The ways with which we can achieve a better fitness and health, we can do the following things with our family:-
This has to be my top activity to do with children. Most kids love being out in the neighborhood on their bike but also don’t hesitate to take them to the park, or on a nearby trail and let them enjoy the outdoors from a young age.
The lake or the river are a great destination for this activity, make sure you have an adult with the children and be patient with them. Teach them to the proper way to paddle and any safety information you need to pass on to them, before going out. Don’t forget the life jackets!
Go to the park or the beach (my favorite) and play Frisbee, don’t leave the little ones out either, it is also fun to play in the knee-deep water.
Or you could just go out and throw a ball around, be it a basketball, baseball, nerf ball, play tag with your kids. They will probably brag about it at school that their mom and dad come out and play tag with them, or duck, duck, goose even.
Have fun with them, on whatever activity you decide.
These are just a few examples of activities your whole family can enjoy, add your suggestions to the comments!
When you are out on the road traveling for either business or leisure it is not always possible to stay inactive for days or weeks at a time. Your body will start losing muscle over the course of even a week so staying active is essential. Depending on your accommodations when you are on the road (hotel, camping, relatives or friends house) reflect what you will be able to do physically to stay in shape.
- Running – Ask someone where a safe route would be to run, as you may not be familiar with the area and the roads. Go out during daylight hours to be safe.
- Pushups – Make a rigorous pushup routine to do in your room, use different hand positions to work out different parts of your upper body. Including shoulders, triceps, and chest.
- Crunches – There are so many ab workouts you can do in your hotel room or lodging that your abs can get just as good of a workout on vacation as they would at home or at the gym. Plus the fact that your eating habits may abnormal (more grease, more fast food), crunches and running are great for burning those excess calories.
- Squats/Lunges – Doing some weightless squats will help your legs stay active and not lose too much of your hard work.
- Swimming – Swimming is a great workout for the entire body. Most hotels have pools (and maybe a hot tub for some relaxing after a hard swim or day) and you can get some laps in. Make sure you bring goggles so you don’t run into the edge of the pool! If you are camping, there is also a possibility of swimming, call ahead and ask.
Quite a few hotels have access to weight rooms with a few basic machines, which could include treadmills, bikes, and a few weight machines. Use the machines to your advantage, usually, they are not the best quality or most useful but if you can get a few upper body exercises in, it will definitely help keep those muscles active.
While camping you can do various activities including hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, swimming. Call ahead to where you will be staying and see the activities that they would recommend doing to stay active. Camping is usually a relaxing vacation choice, but that does not mean that you should take the entire trip off, get out and do something, be active, there will be plenty of time to relax at other points of the day.
Relatives or Friends
Ask your family or friends if there is something you can get out and do to stay active during your visit. Maybe they will get out and do something with you. Ask them for good running routes to avoid high traffic areas and other dangerous areas.
As you can see there are so many options to stay active when you are out on the road and there really is no reason to not even attempt to get 15-30 minutes into a day, even if you are busy most of the day. It will make you feel much better and could help you sleep better on that awful hotel bed you have to stay on for a week.
I am on the road while writing this and I must say I have felt much better on the days that I got up and did some running and pushups compared to the days I did not. Leave your traveling workout tips in the comments.